(makes 8-10 pancakes)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (whole milk)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a small bowl. Also mix ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and lemon zest in a separate, larger bowl. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring gently until just combined.
2. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold slowly and gently into batter, beginning with one spoonful, then gradually adding the rest.
3. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium-high heat. Melt a small pat of butter, and spoon in the batter. Cook the pancakes, until the bottoms are golden and you see a few bubbles rising to the surface of the pancakes (about 3 minutes or so). Flip and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden. Repeat with the remaining pancakes.
4. Serve immediately - topping with a spread of creme fraiche, chopped scallions, a pinch of flaky salt and a spoonful of ROE caviar. Serve with lemon wedge.
Photography by Jessica Schramm, Food Styling by Alina Hardin